Saturday, March 7, 2009

Who We Are

Welcome to our new blog! It's been a long time coming and I finally caved. After six years in business I decided that it is finally time to take our website to the next level and provide our brides and prospective clients with a valuable resource for information, ideas, and examples of our work.

For the first blog I thought it most appropriate to take this opportunity to introduce you to A Simple Wish. Who we are, what we do and why we love our jobs so much!

A Simple Wish was started in 2003 and I can honestly say that I had no idea where the business would go. I am a big believer in taking control of one's own destiny and that if you have a dream you can make it come true with hard work, dedication, and a little bit of luck. However, little did I know that I would be here today. I was not one of those girls that dreamed about her wedding day her whole life. When I got engaged in 2002, people had to tell me about The Knot.com. I probaly bought 2 magazines during the entire time that I was engaged, I looked at 2 potential wedding venues before deciding on the location, and I bought the 2nd dress I tried on (I only tried on 2). Don't get me wrong; I loved planning my wedding. I thought through every detail and planned the wedding down to a "T." My husband's groomsmen even made fun of me the whole weekend for having sent them "a detailed schedule and instructions on do's and don'ts" prior to the wedding weekend.


During the time that I was planning my wedding I was also working as an event planner. I kind of fell into the job. Coming out of college I wanted to work on Capitol Hill; my first job landed me in the conferences/seminars department of a local political think tank. From there, I took a job at a local Chamber of Commerce as their events manager. While at the Chamber I was planning my own wedding and I realized that because I had the background in event planning and I enjoyed weddings more...I could start my own company! I came up with the name of my company in the shower one morning and hired a graphic designer the same day. Within two months of my own wedding I had a company established! The rest, they say, is history.


In June, 2008 Ashley Gordon joined the team. Ashley comes from a background in hospitality and "party guru." Growing up in a small town in Southern Virginia, Ashley and her mom always got creative when it came to putting on parties at theirs and their friends' homes. Ashley learned how to make her own floral arrangements, design her own menus and prepare the food, negotiate deep discounts on tent rentals, find local bands to perform, and bake and decorate cakes. Her flair for creativity is what appealed to me most when I brought her on as a second wedding planner. When Ashley would plan a party for a friend she'd handle every detail: make the cake, make the food, decorate, invite guests, host and clean up! Ashley also comes from a background as a flight attendant for a "big National airline." Her attention to customer service and hospitable approach is an asset to our company.

If you love weddings and parties (who doesn't?), it's easy to see why we love our jobs. The most fulfilling part, though, is when everything comes full circle and you see the result of your hard work on the wedding/event day.
This is a picture of the first wedding that we ever coordinated! Thanks Jen and Eric.

No comments:

Post a Comment